If you are ready to fall in love with a big dog in a little body than a Yorkie Terrier would be a good fit for you. Yorkshire Terriers, as they are formally called, usually weigh a maximum of 7 lbs, however occasionally one will grow to 15 lbs, but it is rare.
If you are already in love with the breed, as so many are, then you probably already knew that. But here are a few fun facts you may not have known:
- Weavers brought them to England in the 1800’s. Weaver’s came from Poland, Germany, and other countries for the weaving industry and brought their little dogs with them. (10 tiny facts about Yorkshire terriers)
- They weren’t always called Yorkshire Terriers. In approximately 1860 they were originally called, broken-haired Scottish terriers. However, in 1870 their name was permanently changed to Yorkshire Terriers after the consensus was that they were not perfected until coming to England.
- The very first therapy dog was a Yorkie. During WWII a soldier found a Yorkie in a foxhole, named her Smokey and took her in. They traveled together. She was able to dig trenches and crawl into narrow pipes to lay wiring. After the war she worked as a therapy dog. She toured hospitals and comforted soldiers. Later she appeared on various TV shows, until she died in 1957. Now you can visit her monument in Cleveland Ohio. (Roadside Americana.com)
- A Yorkies hair will grow as long as you will let it. Which isn’t recommended. It can grow up to two feet long. If it gets too long they can trip over it and have difficulty walking.
- Yorkies are the most popular AKC breed, I bet you knew that one already. They currently rank 6th in popularity among all breeds.
- Yorkie Terriers make great watch dogs. Now we are back to that “big dog in a little body” issue. Yes, they are fearless and very protective of their owners. They aren’t afraid to let their owners know when something is not right.
- Yorkies are known to have problems with their teeth. They are vulnerable to the effects of plaque and tartar build up. Tooth decay and tooth loss is very painful for the Yorkie so they need routine dental care.
- A Yorkshire Terrier holds the world’s record for the smallest dog in recorded history. Fully grown he only weighed 4 ounces. He lived for two years. (terrificpets.com)
- A 12 lb Yorkie saved an elderly woman by fighting off an 80 lb Akita. The Yorkie survived and only required a few stitches. (terrificpets.com)
- Richard Nixon, the 37th president of the united states had a Yorkie named Pasha. (Richard Nixon’s Presidential pet Pasha)
Do you know some more fun facts about Yorkies? Let us know below! .